Friday, November 6, 2009

Oklahoma recap

I promise one of these days to blog about our Thomas the Train trip. Here is a recap of our week.

Rusty, Caleigh and I arrived in Tulsa around 2 am on Friday night. We were told he was stable and to come up in the am. He died at 7:38 a.m. on Saturday so we weren't able to see him. We were lucky that we were in Tulsa and able to go to the hospital to sit with him and the family for about an hr and a half on Sat am. I t was nice to have the opportunity to say goodbye. I came back on Sunday with Rusty and Caleigh and went back Tuesday to drive my nephews (leaving Rusty and the kids here)

He did a lot in his 17 years and was an amazing kid. He loved the lord and loved life and never let his health get him down. He lived as a young infant in a bubble and stayed a year and a half in the hospital. He was born with SCIDS http://www.immunedisease.com/patients-and-families/about-pi/types-of-pi/severe-combined-immunodeficiency-scid.html. We had to wear masks and gloves at all times when we went to visit him as an infant and toddler. He just moved to OK last year and prior to that he lived in Houston. We saw him all the time in Houston and twice since he moved to Oklahoma last December.

The service Wednesday was fantastic with the deaf church in Houston and in OKC sending their ministers. He will be missed.I believe this is going to the be the most difficult thing I have ever had to go through. He was born without an immune system and we were lucky to have him as long as we did, but there is still a large void. However, we rejoice that he is in heaven and able to hear and with a healthy body.

He was able to make multiple trips to the national ability center. This is a fantastic place where he was able to do alot of outdoor activities. They have some pictures on their web site at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=121017&id=48608818777&l=5fc22dad60

Caleigh did great in the car (only1 meltdown coming and going) and was a happy baby. She was passed around 20 people and still smiling while we were there.


This summer with my family in OK. I had just had Caleigh so I didnt get to make this trip.
He was very patriotic. He made a sign for Rusty and went and saw him when he came in from Afghanistan .
He begged Rusty for dogtags. He wore these up until Friday. Rusty got him a uniform and dog tags and I took them to him in Feb. This was the last time I saw him.Holding Reese at his 16th bday party

He was on the sign for MD Anderson Christmas cards

No comments: